Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Isle of Mull Slouch

Traveling in Scotland with my middle son to the Irish Dance World Championships, I suddenly realized that I hadn’t packed ENOUGH YARN for all my nervous energy.  Had already completed a pair of socks and a hat on the flight from the US…so to Queen of Purls in Glasgow I went. Met the wonderful shopkeeper, Zoe, and acquired this lovely, lanolin-rich aran yarn from the Isle of Mull. Love the farm philosophy as they describe it...  " Ardalanish Farm lies in the remote south west corner of the Isle of Mull in the Inner Hebrides, extending west from the white sand of Ardalanish Bay. We rear native Kyloe Highland cattle and Hebridean sheep, and use the sheeps' wool for weaving our unique and distinctive tweeds.  Our farming practices represent our belief in the primary importance of understanding the land and its needs and allowing ecological relationships to develop with animals that are already co-evolved with the environment. We believe the balance achieved with these methods produces a quality and an ethical standard which reflects the conditions that nature bestowed in this unique Hebridean landscape."
You can read more about the yarn and farm HERE.

This hat was easy knit with nice result. I also love the story behind the pattern… “The Ertebolle hat is part of the Doggerland: Knits from a Lost Landscape collection. Doggerland consists of 8 patterns and is a collection of accessories inspired by a submerged landscape between Scandinavia and the UK. The collection uses motifs commonly found on artefacts from the Middle Stone Age and seeks to take you on a journey through landscapes of your own.”

2 comments:

Marion Starr said...

Love the Isle of Mull Slouch! I spin my own yarn from Merino wool and have been looking for Isle of Mull(the home of my ancestors)knitting patterns for ages. The only really authentic designs I could find were the Eriskay fisherman's jumpers so made myself a homespun sweater. Any chance of sharing the slouch pattern please? Lovely work.
Best wishes,
Marion Starr (Sydney)
http://aussieknittingthreads.blogspot.com.au/

Doctor Knitter said...

Hi, Marion. I hope I did not mislead you. The hat pattern is wonderful, but my version was named "Isle of Mull Slouch" because of the yarn I used (which came from sheep raised on the Isle of Mull and purchased on my recent visit to Scotland). The pattern is called,
Ertebolle by Karie Westermann, and is available on Ravelry. Karie Westermann is originally from Denmark, but now lives in Scotland. Here is a link to the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ertebolle

I love that you spin your own yarn! Would love to see it if you end up using the pattern. Good luck with the heritage knitting search!