Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Envy" Irish Wristwarmers for St. Patty's Day

I joined my first knitting club this year, the "Seven Deadly Spins." Every two months they mail members a package which includes a heavenly yarn, a pattern based on one of the 7 deadly sins, and assorted goodies...some necessary for the pattern, some entirely for fun ("lagniappe"). This month's pattern (by Silvia Harding) was so inspiring I immediately cast on and will therefore have the pleasure of wearing these divine fingerless gloves/wrist warmers on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate the small portion of my heritage which is Irish.
The theme is "envy" and indeed I will be the envy of all who see me sporting these beaded wonders, knit with a decadent DK yarn called "House Blend" by The Unique Sheep comprised of 50% alpaca, 30% merino, and 20% silk. It is a jewel-like color blend of greens, nicely modelled beside my son's rendition of the Statue of Liberty.
In addition to these lovely gloves, I thought I would share with you a poem...one of my favorites, about a crafty Irish maiden who used the soothing rhythm of her spinning wheel to lull her watchful mother to sleep so that she might rendezvous with her lover...hope the poem (and the luxurious wristlets) inspire your holiday!

A Treasury of Irish Poetry in the English Tongue By Stopford Augustus Brooke, Thomas William "Text not available"
"The maid shakes her head on her lips lays her fingers Steals up from her seat longs to go and yet lingers A frightened glance turns to her drowsy grandmother Puts one foot on the stool spins the wheel with the other Lazily easily swings now the wheel round Slowly and lowly is heard now the reel" -John Francis Waller


No comments: