Thursday, January 15, 2009

Midwinter Knitting Therapy: A "Glimmer" of Hope

It is 10 degrees outside (not taking into account the wind chill)...the sort of cold that causes a massive adrenaline release in a person's body the minute one steps outside...the sort of cold that can make the sides of one's nostrils stick together after inhaling and bring tears to one's eyes. Were this early December, I would curl up by the fire with a cup of cocoa and knit a nice woolly stocking. Instead, this spine-stiffening cold snap is occurring in January...heading into February...the most bleak and joyless portion of the New England year. Gone are the sugar-plums and festivities of the holidays, and ( in the absence of Carnival/Mardi Gras) there is little to brighten the dark days. I've always felt that Lent, in New England, is redundant...after all, we've suffered enough... why give up another pleasure?!? In the midst of this test of my psychic metal, I wandered in to my LYS (local yarn store) and found the ultimate cure for a passionate knitter's midwinter blues:

Rowan Glimmer Print in a shade of tangerine most evocative of beaches and tans. With a stash bursting at the seams, I surely do not need yet another yarn...and yet I wanted how this one made me feel. Suddenly I knew that if I had to knit ONE MORE woolen item I was going to SCREAM! What I needed, in a therapeutic kind of way, was to feel the cool of cotton running through my winter-cracked fingers and to envision myself wearing some loosely-woven swim cover-up...something that looks more like macrame than knitting. Along side the yarn I found, in the stack of pattern books, the Rowan pattern book for use of the yarn, entitled, The Midas Touch. This marvelous booklet was filled with images of exotic women embellished with gold jewelry, draped over Greek ruins - sweating in the Mediterranean sun. With this book in hand, my fantasy was complete.

I strode to the check-out counter enlivened by my selections. The sales lady was a pasty middle-aged matronly woman with a kind demeaner. I confided in her my plans for the summery yarn and that if I had to work another piece of wool yarn I would lose my mind. She pondered my comment wordlessly at first, and then ... leaning in, in a surreptitious tone of voice confessed, "You know... I keep a little bathing suit in the trunk of my car. I don't think I've ever really had the occasion to use it."

So, my message today is the following...Buy your summer yarn NOW. Here are three good reasons:

1. The yarn is post-season and the stores are offering great post-holiday sales...there are some great deals to be had.
2. If you knit it now, you can wear it this summer!
3. It may provide the "glimmer" of hope you need to get through the midwinter blues... like the bathing suit in the car trunk...just IN CASE you happen to come across a beach :-)

No comments: