Thursday, October 2, 2008

Maine Yarn: Part I

At the end of each summer, my husband and I take our children for an "unplugged" week in Maine. We stay in this historic farmhouse on acres and acres of land and immerse ourselves in the simple life - 0ur children play board games and ride bikes, I knit and read, my husband naps. All year long I anticipate the arrival of our retreat week. Recently, I discovered that within a short distance, there are no fewer than 3 great knitter destinations, and so I have begun to venture out and explore the environs of the Pemaquid Point region.
In the town of Damariscotta, there is a very tiny, and very wonderful yarn shop called, Pine Tree Yarns. Owned and run by Elaine Eskesen, it is the outgrowth of a midlife crisis and self-examination, leading her to chose yarn dying on a farm on the banks of the Sheepscot River over life in Manhattan. She has authored two books, "Dying to Knit," and "Silk Knits." She also writes regularly for Family Circle Easy Knitting, Knitter’s Magazine, Interweave Knits.
So, here in Damariscotta, her shop is an outpost of great design and great yarn in the wilderness. It is located in a historic downtown building (downtown being one street through the middle of Damariscotta proper) and inside looks like this:


I selected a handful of yarns, rich with texture and color...reminiscent of the rough and earthy landscape of coastal Maine. My favorites were a rich nutty brown and an intense aqua silk and wool blend. The wool was so fresh I could still appreciate the oily lanolin in it's fibers. It struck me that, with the addition of silk, this yarn would make an especially warm scarf. The scarf is from Modular Knits by Iris Schreier and is called the Multi-directional scarf. Knit thin, it is suitable for a decorative woman's scarf, but wider it becomes more masculine. When complete it became apparent it was the perfect "Thank you" gift for the delightful owner of the magical farm which we are so privileged to rent each year...knit from the yarn crafted from the Maine he holds so dear.

No comments: