Monday, April 14, 2008

Cherry Blossom Scarf

If you recall, a few weeks ago I found an inspirational skein of silk yarn while shopping at In Stitches, a magical yarn store in the Boston area. The yarn is Colinette Tao colorway marble 88 and is pearly white with small regions dyed in colors which reminded me of springtime cherry blossoms. As winter is drawing to a close, I was eager to switch away from knitting with heavy warm wool and into a lighter yarn, and so it was with great glee that I carried home my first springtime project-to-be. At home I struggled over what to do with just one skein and at last turned to my bible, the Vogue Stitchionary. The Stitchionary comes in multiple volumes (I- basic knit/purl/lace, II- cable, III- color) and is a valuable resource for quick pattern adjustments (don't like a particular cable...pick another and substitute) and for a never-ending supply of scarf patterns. Almost any pattern in the stitchionary can be easily adapted to a scarf. This pattern is #154 and is called "Victorian Ferns."

7 comments:

Kerry said...

So lovely!

Jenn said...

I must try that store...I'm trying to finish any ONE of the projects I have going so I can justify some more yarn.
Also, I liked what your previous blogged talked about--keeping the kitting line going. It makes me happy to think that while I've been struggling to teach myself crochet, I am making up for perhaps another line that has ended without passing on the skill. This summer I am making it a point to teach Becky while we waste away the days...

Corwink said...

Great scarf! I LOVE the pin it gives it a nice finished look.

firefly said...

I think you have a very particular talent for choosing yarns in colors that match flowers perfectly. I love the yarn you show here and it does look like cherry blossoms. So very, very lovely. The scarf will be beautiful, indeed.

Warmest wishes,
firefly

Dr. Knitter said...

You flatter me, firefly...the scarf in the picture IS finished...it is the one I did (and I am the one wearing it in the photo). The book, Stitchionary, does not include any photos of finished projects, pattern ideas, etc. The Stitchionary merely gives the name of the technique and how it is done and a small image swatch.

PiratusDomesticus said...

That is a beautiful scarf! I've been looking at the Stitchionary book, and you've inspired me to go get it :) Thanks for posting to show me what you did with your silk!

Anonymous said...

Un peu de français. C'est vraiment beau et très délicat. Belle réalisation Congratulations. You have all my respect it's great really
Claire